When I was a teen, I was always asking my parent’s for money. Whether it was gas for the car, going to lunch with friends, or buying a video game, there was always something that I needed cold hard cash for.
Eventually, my parents got fed up and I had to start earning my own. For the early part of my teens I mowed lawns, raked yards, and did various other lawn chores for anyone who needed it. This was good money and it was relatively easy. However, I quickly discovered that I was not a huge fan of physical labor (read lazy).
After 25 years in business, Durham Radio has closed its doors permanently.
We regret to inform you that Durham Radio Sales & Service Inc. after nearly a 25 years in the industry – closed its doors forever at 3:00 PM on Saturday, April 14th. We would like to thank our dedicated staff, loyal customers and friends for your continued support and for many great years in this hobby. Unfortunately, times have changed and it has become impossible to remain competitive in this industry without making drastic changes to our business model. We have decided that it would be better to close the business rather than change the products we carry and reduce customer service.
I have to admit that I was not a big customer of theirs. I had ordered a few small items in the past and their customer service was always great and professional. It’s sad to see an amateur radio business shut it’s doors. I want to wish everyone over there all the best in any future endeavors they may embark on.
It has been a long time since I have posted anything here. I guess when life gets in the way, the blog is one of the first things to suffer.
I started a new job back in August and that has taken a lot of my time and energy. Luckily the work is basically the same as I was doing before, just with a new company, so it was really easy to get settled in. This new gig has been awesome so far and they are a great group to work for. I never really knew how much I missed going in to an office as well as working for a small / lean outfit. I’ve had the chance to do a few new things as well as take part in some project work which I had not been able to do at the previous place.
On the radio side, I have been relatively busy with the local club (YARC) as I am now the club President / Chairman. Back in October, the previous president decided not to re-offer and it did not look like anyone else was really interested so I threw my name in and gave it a shot. So far it was been a fun learning experience.
I’ve also been working on one of the club’s Yaesu DR-1X repeaters and the associated HRI-200 to get it connected to Wires-X. Unfortunately, after a few months of troubleshooting and trying various things, we have determined that the HRI-200 is dead and we need a new one. I am hoping to get that sorted out sooner rather than later and get this project squared away. After that, we have a few other club projects on the horizon.
On a personal level, I have recently been battling some health issues. I am hoping we are on the way to figuring them out. Unfortunately, due to their nature, it makes work (and computing in general) relatively difficult and painful. I am keeping my hopes up that this is just temporary and will soon be resolved. There’s no point in dwelling on the negative as it does not help anything!
That pretty much sums things up from the last few months! I hope everyone has had a great start to 2018 and I hope to be posting again relatively soon!
Last summer I purchased a 48ft aluminium tower and an antenna rotor. This year I purchased a tri-band yagi to put on top of it. Between work, kids, life, and perpetual procrastination, I haven’t been able to get my prep work done. This past weekend, I finally got the chance to start by putting together the form for the concrete base I will be pouring.
I received a comment on my previous video (where I used Hamlib for rig control) by G4POP. He indicated that I would be able to get a view of VFO B in the application if I used OmniRig instead. I decided to give it a try. I found, not only that the second VFO was where, but the response time to and from the rig when issuing commands was much faster.
It is once again time for another Log4OM video! In this third installment of the series, I take a look at setting up Right Control / CAT using the Hamlib library and my TS-570. I go through the configuration and demonstrate how it works.
I posted the video last night and have already received some feedback from G4POP (Terry Genes) who is one of the Log4OM team members. He indicated that I would be able to get more features (and faster response time) by using the Omnirig library instead of Hamlib. I am going to play around with this and probably record an additional video about it. Stay tuned for that.